Skip to content
BACK TO TOP
Online Courses and Apps
- Russian Course On Duolingo
- Russian Lessons on RT – RT is controversial, but their course is really good
- Aprus is a service to learn Russian online in a funny and easy way (with audios, images and videos). Students can contact a teacher whenever they need and the first course is free.
- Grand Russian Dictionary – an application that is much more than just a dictionary. Almost each word in the dictionary comes with English translation, its grammatical forms (declensions for nouns and adjectives, conjugations for verbs), word usage and Russian definition. Download the app for Android here. iOS version is coming soon.
- Live Fluent – a community of polyglots and language lovers compiled a free Russian learning resource that tackles some of the more difficult parts of Russian grammar.
- Tandem Language Exchange – an application that helps to find a matching language exchange partner; with the Tandem app, you can connect with native speakers of your target language all over the world and practice by speaking via text, audio message, and video call.
One-on-one Lessons and Tutors
Video Lessons On Youtube
- Amazing Russian – video instructions created by Olga Jarrell, Russian Language and ESL Instructor at Utah Valley University
- Russian Grammar – short videos on essential topics in Russian grammar, presented in a friendly, low-stress way; designed and presented by Dr. Curtis Ford.
- Staroe Radio – Old Soviet radio shows – now digitized. The project offers a free application (App Store, Google Play) that helps navigating the archive and plays the shows It’s a treasure box for learners of Russian – hours and hours of podcasting, and classy, impeccable pronunciation!
- Lib.ru – Maksim Moshkov’s Library, one of the first and the most popular online libraries. All the books are free for reading on the website, no download
- Aldebaran – free download (epub, fb2, rtf, mobi, pdf)
- Read Tolstoy online – all 90 volumes! Free download
- Russian Sci-Fi – free download, classic and contemporary writers
- Thank You. Ru – Music and books, “pay what you want” publishing platform for amateur and professional writers
Books and Textbooks on Amazon
- Master the Basics Russian – this book uses both Roman and Cyrillic alphabets. It opens with a diagnostic self-test to help students determine what they already know of Russian and how to get best use from the book. Following chapters include a grammar brush-up covering all parts of speech, and special topics including Russian word formation, idioms, and much more.
- Russian Tutor: Grammar and Vocabulary Workbook – master Russian grammar and broaden your vocabulary with your very own Russian Tutor. This contemporary interactive workbook features 200 activities across a range of grammar and vocabulary points with clear goals, concise explanations, and real-world tasks. By studying and practicing Russian grammar you’ll understand how the language really works and be able to speak Russian with clarity and ease.
- Russian Handwriting: Propisi (Volume 1, 2, 3) – Propisi Russian Step By Step Workbook is designed for adults and school aged children who want to learn Russian cursive handwriting. Instead of introducing the letters alphabetically the Workbook uses the order that helps English-speaking or bilingual students avoid confusion between similar letters and sounds. Propisi Russian Step By Step presents each letter, accompanied with an example letter that needs to be traced over, combination of letters, words, phrases and sentences. The students also have the opportunity to work on the order of strokes, the connections between the letters and the incline of the letters to the right.
- Город Тайнов series: Высокий мужчина в зелёном плаще (volume one), Большая тайна в Маленьком театре (volume two), Город Тайнов: Тайна холодного камня (volume three) – the “Gorod Taynov” book series has been originally designed for Russian expat children, but these books can be fun to read for anybody who is looking for an easy and entertaining reading. Short detective stories consist mostly of dialogues, easy grammar and practical vocabulary.
- Чистая грамматика (Russian Edition) – a perfect grammar reference book for students at levels B1, B2, and C1. Many grammatical topics covered and explained including cases, verbal aspects, verbs of motion, participles and adverbial participles and more. The book has many exercises and a key for the exercises, so you can use it to study on your own.
- 750 Russian Verbs and Their Uses – this book provides how each of the 750 most frequent verbs is used with prepositions and cases. You’ll find some of the most common phrases and idioms there, too.
- Illustrated Russian Grammar – Illustrated Russian Grammar is a wonderful book for complete beginners. It covers the elementary Russian grammar and contains infographics and illustrations along with exercises. The book also features Comprehensive table of regular and irregular Russian verbs. Recommended for self-study.
- Sasha, the little girl – this is an entertaining story with varied reading comprehension and practical vocabulary activities. Russian language learners will improve their reading skills while reading for pleasure.
- WHAT’S NEW? – Russian language: What’s new? Russian and World news and discussion questions to activate vocabulary and improve fluency. Recommended for B1-C2 levels.
- Let’s Go! Poekhali! (Textbook 1, Textbook 2.1, Textbook 2.2)- this Russian textbooks for beginners and intermediate students will aid you in learning Russian. Real life conversational materials will help you acquire and reinforce vocabulary, and grammar lessons are essential for learners to begin functioning in this language.
- The New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners – whether you’re learning alone or attending classes, you’ll find this complete Russian language course for beginners both accessible and indispensable. Designed to provide the student with an excellent command of basic Russian (the equivalent of A’ level standard) the book features thirty lessons punctuated by revision exercises to ensure you have fully understood what you have learned. The emphasis is on acquiring vocabulary, experiencing conversational language and learning useful grammar. The book also includes a vocabulary of 1,500 words and a glossary of grammatical terms.
- Russian Coach – a blog of a learner of Russian named Aslıhan, where she shares her experience in language learning, tips and tricks, and hand-picked educational materials.
- Learn The Russian Language – A collection of a articles with tips, tricks and useful resources for Russian learners.